Friday 16 October 2009

Ryan Jordan shoots all kinds of things

Look here for a good example of how to shoot a camping trip video rather than my mediocre efforts. His 24 video really captured the feeling of being out there. It's a lot easier when you live in Bozeman I suppose. Scroll down for his story about trail running and hunting with an ultralight rifle. I feel deeply uncomfortable when I know people enjoy killing things. As I get older I feel this more and more strongly, which I suppose makes me a hypocrite as I am a meat eater and shooting is generally understood to be a more humane way of killing animals. I guess it's the enjoyment factor: 'I enjoy running and icecream and killing things'. I killed a rat the other day, hit it with a spade, twice. Once which just maimed it and once to finish it off. The fact that it was running at my baby son didn't make it any easier for me. It was the first furry animal I've killed (I've been fishing) and it affected me quite strongly. Things just aren't black and white though, I'm still figuring this one out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I'm a bit behind in catching up with your blog. I had the same reaction and thought about saying the same thing. I feel uncomfortable with the idea of going backpacking and shooting something. I too am a meat eater and could be accused of being a hypocrite. Difficult one.

Thomas said...

I've never understood how people can find enjoyment in killing animals, and to be honest I didn't like seeing his article about the ultralight rifle on backpackinglight.com.